Sunday, November 4, 2012

Assignment 10: Digital Storytelling Outline


For this assignment we were required to brainstorm ideas for creating our own digital story using our sociological concept.  With my concept focusing on comedy and humor, I've been trying to come up with some entertaining stories to create this digital story.  The two stories I've come up with are actually personal stories of my own. 

The first story has to do with kids on spring break and the shenanigans that are entailed with this yearly ritual.  It consists of a group of girls hanging out on the beach having a good time.  Out of nowhere a group, of guys on the 4th floor tell the group of girls to come over and they want to offer up some beads.  The whole bead thing is just like in New Orleans for Mardi Gras.  The purpose of beads is to get people to do things you want them to do, and if they do it, they are rewarded with beads.  So the group approaches and the guys yell down to do something for beads.  One of the girls says no, but does the flirtatious giggle.  After much coaxing, the guys drop some beads and tell one of the girls that she doesn't have to do anything for them and she can just have them.  As she goes over to grab the beads they dropped, they were taking a whole cooler of ice cold water and lifting it over the ledge.  The girl gets a whole cooler of water dumped all over her in front of an entire beach full of people.  The whole thing here is trusting strangers and desiring something stupid as beads.



The plan for this story was to have me narrate while I have create animation or slideshow.  The assignment requires an interview, however I want to have me narrate my story.  The challenges I think I will face trying to make this digital story is just making the animation or slideshow.  I want to make it cheesy, but not too cheesy.  I just have to figure out a good application to make it funny and entertaining. 

For the second possible story, I want to tell a story about the transition from adulthood to true adulthood.  What I mean by this is when a kid finally turns 21 years old.  We all go through this and it's a right of passage when turning 21 to get drunk, because when an American kid finally turns 21, it means they can finally drink legally.  I want to tell the story of that transition and the shenanigans that follow. 



If I went with this story, I would probably approach it the same way as the first story, which is make it an animation or slideshow and have a voice-over as the interview.  And just like the first story the challenges that I think will be tough is just creating the animation finding the best software or application to make it funny and entertaining. 

I had one more idea that I think would be different and maybe funny.  It is to use the news-feed from Facebook and create a storybook on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).  What I would do is take my news-feed and read what people write and to put it together as a story.  It's so random and weird...almost like a digital Mad-Lib.  What the Facebook news-feed provides are quick little excerpts of peoples thoughts and when you put it together it's just quick little stories.  I think putting them together may come out funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment